March 15, 2011

Pomello Set


Acrylic on Cardstock - 4 x 6 inches

This one really didn't take much longer than the first two. I'd already worked out some of the issues (and had mixed up a bunch of paint puddles) so things went fairly smoothly.

I also didn't really go over strokes that much, since I was getting better results, and I noticed that with the paint so wet, going over strokes really just wound up removing paint. (I know, "fat over lean" but I didn't really want to get into that with this one).

3 comments:

Chartan said...

how do you do "fat" over "lean" with acrylics? there isn't any fat in them?

J.Farnsworth said...

Having very little experience with oils, I probably shouldn't be making such statements.
Though not a true metaphor, I find that through the use of medium, extender, and even water, I get a paint mixture that feels more fatty than other puddles of paint that have been slowly drying out on my palette and my painting. The tackier the paint, the more it has a tendency to pull at the paint already laid down, but the "wetter" paint is easier to lay on top without removing anything below. It just leaves the brush more easily.

Hope that makes some sense.

gringo

Chartan said...

After I made that comment, I started thinking about it. I've always assumed the fat over lean referred to the oil, in the oil paint being thinned down with the turp, (or other medium). But I guess it could also mean the bulk being thinned down to a runny substance... just a question of semantics... as my sister says never assume, it makes an ass out of u and me... thanx for the reply