For a change, I decided I'd try to paint colors and not shapes (whatever that means). So, I didn't do a sketch on the canvas, but rather started putting in color areas. By the halfway mark, I'd really wished I had put some shapes in first. I couldn't tell which post I was painting (or around which) and I also wound up with the result of the fields behind the fence looking like they were on the same plane as the patio. Bad, bad, bad.
Still, no one was physically harmed, and something might have been learned. At least the colors are pretty intense, which is good, since that's the language I was trying to use.