April 26, 2012

Driveway Shadows


Acrylic on Card - 4 x 6 inches - Sold

This weeks submission to the DPW "Cropping Challenge" is based on a tiny portion of the original photo, namely the dappled shadows in the driveway.

One of the drawbacks of looking at the challenge later in the week is that you can see what everyone's done already. All really good choices, but I felt I couldn't copy someone else's cropping decision.

I thought I'd try to pick a severe crop that no one else would do (indicated below). Is it kind of a cop out. Perhaps. But it is honestly one of my favorite parts of the image. Cool vs warm, light against shadow. Also I was exhausted after some other terrible painting failures this week, so I needed something manageable.

UPDATE: As someone pointed out, I posted my painting upside down, for no particular reason other than rushing. Blogger doesn't have tools to let me rotate it, so you'll just have to use your imagination (which is what you were doing anyway, right?)




2 comments:

Polly said...

I think your choice is a very creative one. As far as being up side down, I will stand on my head to see it but FYI, there is a way to edit your pics. ...Too long to explain but if you play with blogger you could figure it out.

Nora MacPhail said...

Awesome. That's so great!