July 3, 2014

Leyla

Acrylic on Panel - 10 x 10 inches - Click Here to Bid

A non-commissioned portrait of the daughter of a friend of a friend... It's extremely difficult to paint the likeness of someone you've never met, especially from photos. It's also difficult for non-painters to deliver photos that have the kind of lighting etc. that we'd like to paint.

In this case I stumbled upon a video posted on FaceBook of this adorable girl, and was able to pick the exact frame that I wanted. But, by seeing the video I could gain a greater sense of her as a person.

Another great thing about the video is that is was noisy and low resolution so nothing was overly sharp or detailed, and the lighting was fairly flat. It really just jumped out at me, so I had to paint.

We'll see if mom likes it.