Going back and revisiting an early painting, to see if I could incorporate what I've learned over the past two years. Here's the original in oil for comparison.
Since I was painting over an old sketch, I first covered the panel with a deep red-orange mix I made from a bunch of old tubes I found at garage sales. It's a great ground color, and even better when it pokes through.
This is the initial sketching in I usually do in a dark blue, mixed with a little alizarin crimson and burnt umber. I decided to crop in tighter and eliminate a few items – the truck (since it wasn't in the reference photo), the building in the back, and a few other random street signs and wires.