January 19, 2011

Chef


Acrylic on Canvas Panel - 11 x 14 inches Ω
On the last studio day, things are starting to fall into place. I'd been painting in my sleep all night and kept coming back to the determination that I would stick to Craig's method no matter what the results.
I picked a good spot with good lighting, and yet still some strong shadow areas. I get pretty far along on this, but was having real trouble with the skin. Everything was getting chalky. When I asked Craig he said that because I had painted in the medium tones too light, forcing me to make my "light" lights too light and washed out. Basically you have to leave room in your tonal range to go lighter (or darker) and still be far from reaching the lightest highlights or deepest shadows. Really opened my mind.
So, I went back and painted back over the mid-tones and then the shadows and lighter tones. Theoretically, the top of the hat should be the brightest white – lighter than even the lightest parts of the jacket or face. Makes sense.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow!!! Look at you! What wonderful development I've been able to witness with you blooming into a very fine artist G. Congrats on the show also!