May 15, 2009

Red Roof Big



Acrylic on Gesso Board

I completely ran out of Titanium White (funny how that happens) so I ran to the rip-off art store nearby. While there I saw some masonite boards prepped with gesso, so I thought I'd try one out. Several of you have suggested I try this slicker surface since it's one of the qualities I enjoy in doing the postcards.

I have to say it really appealed to me. I did a dark wash first to tone down the stark white of the gesso. The I just went to town like I do with the postcards. Since it's a larger surface (9x12 inches) I did wind up putting in more detail than on the 4x6 postcard, but without getting overly fussy.

2 comments:

Avocaken said...

I like it! Yup, I'm one who ALWAYS covers the white gesso. In fact, when I make my own Masonite boards, I tint the gesso with some acrylic - any color that I fancy at the time. Presently my panels are a sort of reddish/pinkish as a red was the only color acrylic I had in the room. My wife was using the other colors for her gourd art. :-) Guess who wins that contest????

Regards,
Ken B.

L.Holm said...

excellent results! You are slick on that slick surface. gorgeous brushwork.