June 20, 2013

Madrona Manor


Acrylic on Panel - 8 x10 inches  Ω

This is my first painting from the workshop. I was lucky enough to join my dad for a few days of instruction and demos with Brent Jensen.  He's a great plein air painter and has a nice, relaxed style. I learned a lot about mixing colors, especially the use of complimentary colors in toning down bright color. I think I'm finally able to banish black from my palette. Well, at least my plein air palette.

This is one of the many out buildings at the Madrona Manor, in Healdsburg, CA. It was quite hot the entire week, so I painted this from the refuge of the shady patio.

1 comment:

Marla said...

I really like the way you did the palm tree - those little flecks that indicate the [whatever that pointy part of a palm tree is, just beneath the leaves] and a little reflected light on the trunk. Gorgeous.