July 29, 2015

Sonoma Coast Study


Acrylic on Panel - 8 x 7 inches

In the version of this I did on the coast, en plein air, I felt like I spent too much time on unnecessary brushwork, and not enough time on creating the impression I wanted to create. I was mixing colors that were just wrong and become too easily satisfied with them.

So I decided to redo it using the original painting and some photos I had taken. My goal was to try to stay true to my initial impression and leave everything else out. To simplify. And while I was at it, I was also going to try to use a lot more paint.

This redo was inspired by the Daily Paintworks Challenge for the week - tasking us with tackling one of your current hurdles, and this is certainly one of mine. A painter I met in the park and I were chatting about my difficulty of simplifying trees in the landscape. He said "remember your initial impression, what inspired you about the scene, and stay true to that." Great and simple advice. Really hard to do.

No comments: