June 15, 2009

Bolinas Boats (dark under painting)



Acrylic on Canvas Board

Another couple of firsts for me. Posting an example of a dark underpainting to show all the dark shapes and trying to connect them as much as possible, and working on a piece in more than one sitting!

Oddly enough, for me the most interesting shape is the negative space of the light-reflecting water in the foreground, and the way it's carved out of the darks.

I did this sketch before studying with Tim. He actually paints his dark shapes in with Ultramarine Blue. Makes sense with his technique of pushing his shadow areas toward cool colors. I've been adopting this practice as of now, and will see how it affects my work going forward.

I'm going to work on this tonight and post the next stage tomorrow.

No comments: