June 13, 2009

The Creamery 2



Acrylic on Panel

I really didn't want to paint this again, but learned a lot from Tim's demo of this subject ( a demo he didn't enjoy very much, but wound up selling to my father anyway). Also, with the lack of warm tones in my palette, I thought I'd stay away from anything with too much scenery in it.

Another interesting observation came out of this. A bunch of us looked at the distant hills, trying to determine their value. Someone suggested they were the darkest thing in the scene. I mean they're really dark forest green. But as we stared directly at them, them seemed to lighten up before us, and turn a pale blueish purple. Interesting. Not sure why I chose to ignore this observation and paint 'em green though. More learning through failure!

Off to the reception for my not-at-all-warm collection at Apollo tonight. Should be fun.

1 comment:

L.Holm said...

This is one of my favorite pieces of yours. it's so solid and simplified and perfect. On my monitor, it looks like the greens are grayed down a bit and are sitting nicely in the background. Beautiful painting.