January 19, 2012

City Hall


Acrylic on Panel - 5 x 7 inches - sold

I've had a photo of City Hall that's been in my "on deck" pile for ages. I spent a while trying to figure out how to crop it, because I was struggling with a horizontal view. Then I thought why no focus in on the most interesting part, and change the crop to portrait? Turned out to be the right question.

My dad noticed I tend toward vertical compositions, and I'd never noticed it before. His thought was that I had heard that verticals sell better. I assured him this was not the case. I think it's because I've spent so much time designing magazines. We may never know.

I picking up my rhythm again. I stayed nice and loose for this, but was still a bit stingy with the paint. These heavily textured cotton canvas panels really show through. I think that's why I like the smoother panels. Even with a thin application, there's no ground texture to poke through and distract. I'm really just using up a whole bunch of little panels I bought a year ago, while I get back into the swing of things. I'm supposed to be working bigger now anyway!

No comments: